Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Why nobody really likes a quiz on CNY eve

Chinese New Year is coming again. Angpows! We all know that's why we really like Chinese New Year. Who really enjoys visiting relatives you only see once a year. The angpows make CNY THE festival. As long as there is money in a red paper packet, I'll take it. Golden chocolate coins don't count.

This year though, it appears that CS Year 1 students are not looking forward to CNY. The main reason probably has to do with the fact that in the run up to CNY, there is a 208 quiz. Now, why would I not want a 208 quiz on CNY eve?

Here's a reason. IF NOT FOR YOUR QUIZ, I WOULDN'T BE IN SCHOOL THIS WEEK.

It's CNY! Stop torturing students! Even if you don't have a life, we do. Ok, maybe I shouldn't speak for others, but I know I do. Can't the quiz wait till next week?

The worst thing about this quiz is, it's not just purely MCQ. If it were just MCQ, I wouldn't need to study for it. Other people would probably claim that I don't need to study for anything, but I do study for open ended questions.

Here's why. It's because if a question like "What is the female of the canine species called?" comes out, I want to be able to write "Vivian". And you won't get that by not reading your slides.

It's kinda weird reading a chapter on ethics while wondering about the ethics of putting a quiz on CNY eve, because there are quite a few unethical thoughts going through my mind now. Like whether I should forget about the 7% and just go home. By right, I shouldn't be skipping lectures, especially those that count. However, I'm left handed.

It also sucks being stuck in hall while watching everyone in other faculties going home for CNY. If I wanted to be mean, I could add that it sucks being Ah Tiong and stuck in hall with no angpows to look forward to while everyone goes home for CNY. But that's just mean, and I've already added that in.

While studying for 208 this afternoon, some of us were talking about what if we could just persuade everyone to mass boycott the lecture, but we realised that wouldn't work. What would happen is, Ah Tiong who has no CNY to look forward to will attend the lecture. No doubt, certainly one of the disadvantages of globalisation.

So I started thinking about doing something to the lecturer, but I realised that I shouldn't be so unethical, or rather that I should have done so yesterday, instead of now when I'm already stuck in school. In any case, doing so would demonstrate that I don't understand the chapter on ethics. She could fail me for that anyway after she recovers from whatever happens to her.

I should put a disclaimer here. If anything happens to her tomorrow, it's not me. I was just entertaining some thoughts. We are supposed to think while doing revision you know?

So I went back to reading about ethics. If I were to join the chorus of people cursing the lecturer for putting a quiz on CNY eve, I would accumulate bad karma, which would result in me getting less angpow money. This year, bad karma starts with a "V".