Thursday, January 14, 2010

A reporter is a glorified kaypoh


A reporter is a glorified kaypoh. The chosen one, given the rights and access to put his nose in others' business so the nosey parkers out there can kaypoh other people.

Most of the time when I'm out on assignment I am really wondering why I write the stuff I'm writing. It's not exactly news, it's not exactly public service either, it's more like I'm writing it because I know people around me would read it.

Most people have a mental conception of journalists. When I told a taxi driver I was a journalist, he actually started teaching me how to get callgirls in Geylang. He told me I'd need it to go undercover. For whatever reason I don't know, but I am familiar with the sign language conventions they use now. I guess the uncles looking for girls in Geylang are now called "journalists."

If you think about it, they do the same thing. They recee the place, talk to the subjects, learn more about their lives and go around reporting on what they experienced.

Perhaps being curious is human, but trust humans to turn it into a multi-million dollar industry complete with armies of runners, editors to decide which story kaypohs want, and a production line to churn it out so people can pick it up and read it.

Remember the news values you learnt in school? They are irrelevant. When you're out there, the acid test for news is really simple.

The first test is, "Is this something the wet market stallowner would read before he uses the newspaper to wrap the vegetables?"

The second test is, "If you were to choose between reading this news and the Nanyang Chronicle, would you still pick the news?"

The third test is, "If you were stuck in the toilet with the newspaper and no toilet paper, would you use my article or someone else's to wipe your bottom?"

The last is, "Why did the chicken cross the road?" Nah, I'm just joking the last doesn't count. But if you see a chicken crossing the road call me, unless its past 7pm. If that's the case, please DON'T call me. I still have a life.