Friday, January 25, 2008

Singapore - The unhappiest people in the world?

During my politics lecture last week, I learnt that Singaporeans were the most unhappy people in the world. It's really kinda incredible to be voted the unhappiest people in the world. I think this calls for a celebration. Let's start by complaining about GST and taxi fares.

But back to the topic, I don't see people breaking down in the streets, rolling around and crying, lamenting how the sky is blue and the grass is green. Although I do see people with long faces everyday, they are students from NTU, which is actually in Malaysia, so it doesn't count.

Its so uniquely Singaporean though, how we must be first in everything. Airport number one, city cleanliness number one, education system number one, queue for free things number one, even most unhappy also must get number one. Singaporean to random foreigner - I have one more teardrop running down the right cheek of my face! Who's the man?!!!

Ain't it retarded.

I mean like who judges these things? I tell you who I think are the unhappiest people. I think you're more likely to find them in places where they don't even have the chance to take surveys like this. Think North Korea, Iraq, Guantanamo Bay and Universiti Teknologikal Nanyang (Malaysia). I'll have you believe that Singaporeans are really a bunch of very happy people.

I really wonder how they carried out the experiment to determine that we were so unhappy. Maybe one of their researchers dropped a packet of tissue paper in different locations all over the world. Here's how I think the experiment went.

In the US, they ignored it. Just another piece of litter, plus they probably don't have enough intelligence to comprehend what tissues are.

In Europe, they sniffed at it, and walked on. Not worth the time and effort to bend down and pick it up because they are ATAS.

In the Middle East, they saw it, and continued shooting the crap out of each other and the researchers.

In China, they looked at it, and started making their own pirated brands of tissue paper.

In Malaysia, they picked it up and resold it around the street corner for 10 sen.

AND... In Singapore they picked the packet up and started crying.

Who am I kidding. Singaporeans probably picked it up and used it to chope seats in some hawker centre.