Sunday, February 26, 2006

Cheer up all you sad little lost sheep.

One thing I've noticed about youths nowadays is how they have huge self-esteem problems. That case is especially evident among Singapore's youth. Everyone wishes they had better grades, more money, better looks, that hot girl or guy you saw yesterday, so on and so forth.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a perfectly normal person and I do spend time wishing that I had all of the above too. But there must be an end all to this. I'm also able to realise how fortunate I am to be living in a country where I still can blog like this online without worrying about where I'll be sleeping tonight or eating later. The only gripe I have is how I've been locked up for one year plus now serving my country by doing nothing. Hey, I'm doing nothing but I'm earning money! Why don't you let me go home and do my own stuff so that I'm doing something AND earning money?

But even that will end... someday.

I think you've heard people whine about how they hate their A lvl results cos they didn't get 4As, or how they are so sad that they didn't get into OCS and they feel so inferior to their officer friends. I didn't get both and I don't care! I've met so many people who are really envious of my non-perfect results, because they are actually quite good to most people. For your information it was two As and two Bs. And an A1 in GP. And I'm currently serving as a man in 3rd signal battalion. Life's quite good there, and I've made many friends that I may not have made somewhere else.

My life is too short to worry about such nonsense and anyway it won't matter in a few years. Do you still care about your O lvl results? If you do you have a serious personality problem called insecurity and an inferiority complex.

The thing about insecurity is this: Its a freaking vicious cycle you asses. No one is going to pity you just because you think you're so pitiful. And the more you do it, the more people don't want to go near you.
People don't like negative people because they make themselves feel sad, when most of the time there is no real reason to feel so other than because the other person feels insecure. What the hell right? Don't believe me? After listening to someone's pathetic gripes about their pathetic lives, go get an ice-cream or watch a good movie. Final Destination 3 does not count unless you like watching stupid people die. Actually that's quite cathartic. Ok, you should watch that.

After that, you'll wonder why you felt so bad in the first place. Then you'll realise, it was that sorry ass you were talking to just now. And you'll probably steer clear of the person unless you genuinely want to help that person see the light.

The worst thing is, because this person is insecure, he/she scares people off, he/she has less friends, he/she feels even MORE insecure, and the cycle continues. My advice to such people is, start believing that you're deserve better and you'll be much happier. Everyone digs confident and humourous people. Of course it helps if you aren't an NSF. And don't bullshit me about how you look like shit and all that. You aren't disfigured, neither do you have a second nose or hair on your teeth.

I also find it almost ridiculous why people choose to put up with their life if they don't like it just to avoid conflict, while causing tremendous pain to themselves. Of course my attitude has got me into more trouble than I'd like in the past, but at least I'm happy about it. Just this friday my platoon commander said that when he first met me he badly wanted to punch me in the face. You know, I think its a compliment because it shows that I don't suffer idiots. Oops.

I might seem obnoxious but you must fight for yourself in this stupid world where idiots rule. Look at George W. Bush. WMDs in Iraq? Hello? Or how about his deputy, oh-I'm-so-sorry-I-shot-my-hunting-partner Cheney. You know what I mean.

At least my PC was honest enough to add that his impression of me changed after a while. Because if it didn't then maybe I'm really am an obnoxious idiot. Or maybe he's just a poor judge of character. If I really were an obnoxious idiot I wouldn't have any friends would I? Like certain PCs I know... oh, I'm sorry but I just couldn't resist putting that in.

The thing about your life is, its your life. You can change it. If you don't want to do a particular course in university, go ahead and change it. Don't say your parents want you to because if you explain to them nicely that your future 50 years of happiness or so depend on your course and what you do in the future I think they love you enough to let you make a change. I already made one huge mistake by choosing science in JC because I thought my parents wanted me to do it when they were really ambivalent about it. So now I made my own choice.

As for people who are desperately seeking the ONE, the ONE is not going to come to you if you sit at home and wait. Go and look for him or her. Go do some shit. There's bound to be some nice person out there waiting to be picked like a fruit. Ok, maybe not like a fruit but I don't believe that you can't find someone nice among 6 billion people in the world.

Ok, its 6 billion minus 3 billion, cos whether you are straight or not you only go for one half. Out of that 3 billion you'll probably have to minus like 2.5 billion because they'll either be too old or too young. Out of that 0.5 billion you'll have to minus like 0.499 billion because they'll be unsuitable for you because they have hair in the wrong places, they look like your neighbour's dog or they have some real personality issues.

That still leaves like 0.001 billion! That's 1 million people leftover!

And I'm only asking you people to find 1. If you can't find the ONE, its because you're too picky or you aren't trying hard enough.